March 24, 2007

SoCal Friends & Neighbors

Here are three of the many, many air-cooled VWs we saw when we lived in Southern California. SoCal is the center of the air-cooled VW universe, and a wide variety of models in a wide variety of conditions could be encountered on any trip of middling or longer length. As far as immaculate VWs go, we'd never seen so many before moving to Goleta, and certainly will never see so many again. For example, this is a splitty (1967 or earlier) single cab Type II spotted on some Godforsaken Orange County or Los Angeles County freeway. Notice that even though this is a major, eight-lanes-in-one direction road, traffic is at a complete standstill, a not infrequent condition of these "freeways". This is basically the same vehicle that 02McDonald and I drove from Lincoln (NE) to New York and back in July 2001, although in about a bazillion times better condition. I like the color of this one, and single cabs are a blast to drive, but I could do without the aftermarket wheels.

This is the road that I rode my bike to school on every day when I was a grad student at UCSB. It's a ten-minute walk from this spot to the beach, so this stretch of road was a perpetual impromptu parking lot. Sometimes RVs and cars would be parked along here for a week; presumably people were living in them. This later bay window Westy was a frequent inhabitant of the lot.

I don't know what possesses people to do crap like this. Actually, I have my suspicions. Taken along the beachfront in Santa Barbara.

No comments:

Post a Comment