July 21, 2009

And sometimes we park them in the yard

Ludwig needed a little one-on-one time with us since he's been given slightly less attention since the addition of Gertie. I spent a LOT of time shining him up, and Mitch helped me with the final wax.




Compare the photos above to the ones over here for a before and after. I'm ashamed (well, not really) to admit that in my 19 years of car ownership, I can count on one hand the number of times I've waxed any of my cars--and have fingers left over. But after seeing so many other buses up close that, frankly, looked better from afar, I realize that it was mostly their being clean that caught my eye, not their condition. And after seeing so many more buses up close in the past few years, I realize that Ludwig is actually in pretty stellar shape considering he's never had any major body work, has his original interior, and still sports his OG paint (and he's been driven and camped in regularly throughout much of his life).

It makes me wonder about Gertie's life before us when I see the condition of her seats. How could any self-respecting ACVW owner ever allow this to happen? Oh well, no point spending money on covers or replacements when Mitch has a set back in Nebraska from one of his previous Squarebacks. We'll be swapping them sometime in the (hopefully near) future.

I threw some t-shirts over the seats too, mostly because I was tired of my hair getting caught in the duct tape.

I love driving Gertie, and she loves these forest drives. This was on the way home from a hike in the Rattlesnake with some other moms and toddlers we know.


Ludwig shouldn't be the only one having fun mountain drives.



Damn we have pretty vehicles. They look like a couple escapees from a box of crayons.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

How fun. Ludwig looks amazing after the wax job! I would be annoyed by the hair + tape thing too.

Can't wait to meet Gertie on Sunday...woot-woo!

Anonymous said...

You waxed Ludwig? I thought you guys were beyond all that superficial good looks stuff? You know, only us ol' geezers who have plenty of time on our hands and trailer our bus everywhere do that.

Oh well, since you did it, good job and I must say the ol' boy does look good.

PJ

Post a Comment