May 2, 2010

Rant, Thy Topic is Bus-Bus

For as long as I've been following other bus blogs, I've been lightly antagonistic with one of Big Blue's Drivers as pertains the grotesque phenomenon known as the bus-bus.
You see, when it comes to objects that are meant to be used in the real world, I'm pretty much a form-follows-function-type guy. On the other hand, designer jeans and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, for example, are all (or mostly all) about style and appearance ("Lookit me!") and little to do with purpose. Likewise bus-buses--they're all form, no function. There is no reason to build a bus-bus anymore other than to be able to say, "I made a bus-bus. Isn't it cool that I made a bus-bus?" None. So naturally I hate them.

And I'd hate them were they made with '70s-era Ford Econolines, or '80s-era Dodge Caravans, or '90s-era Toyota Previas, really I would. But of course the "classic" bus-bus (such that it is) adds insult to injury by requiring for its construction the ruination of a near-perfect example of form-follows-function design: the VW bus (1949-1979). Kind of like having Frank Gehry build a gigantic addition to your Frank Lloyd Wright home, you know, just because you can.

Unfortunately I must admit I haven't always been so jaded on the subject. There was a Summer, the Summer of 1993, when I was living back with my parents in small-town Nebraska after a year of college. I got my old cooking job back at the ol' bar & grill and the idea was just to make money. That, and, since my hours were 4-11, imbibing perhaps too much, too often.

That Summer an older SHS graduate I knew, who disappeared not long after his own graduation, resurfaced quite unexpectedly and I should say quite spectacularly: he left a fairly clean-cut kid but came back in full "hippie" regalia (scare quotes because, no matter one's intentions or philosophies or lifestyle, hippyism died in the late '60s; if you're under circa 55 right now, there is no way you ever were or ever will be a hippie, sorry). His crew numbered maybe six all told, and they arrived, as I said, spectacularly, in a full-on bus-bus.

This one, in fact.

I've written at excruciating length here about my hatred for bus-buses, and about that hatred's ironclad justification. I've written previously about my hatred for bogus painted "hippie" buses, so my dear reader can heave a deserved sigh of relief that I won't go into that again. Now for the confession: I helped adorn the above bus-bus with that paint job. The "hippies" stayed in Stanton for perhaps two weeks, waiting on a part for the school bus, striking camp at the fairgrounds. (Amazingly, given what went on there, they didn't run afoul of the law.) During this time I made near-nightly trips to Craig (the SHS grad and only one whose name I remember) and his crews' bus-bus, mostly with the intention of b.s.-ing, thumping the bongos, smoking Drum (well, I was smoking Drum), and tipping back too much of my drink of choice at the time, Shady Screwdrivers (Stoli and Sunny D). Their part came eventually and on one of their last nights they decided it was time to paint the bus-bus (it had arrived just blue). Most of my work was on the passenger side, so it's not in the picture, but it consisted of a similarly-centered crescent moon. All this was done organically, without fakery, false sentimentality, or deceit and so I stand by it without shame of contradiction.

I lifted the picture off Craig's facebook page. A comment underneath said it had a date with the crusher last Summer, which I took with a small pang of sadness, as it closed a minor chapter in my Lost Youth. Farewell and good riddance, bus-bus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA! Good one...especially the part about Shady Screwdrivers. If only my bus was a time machine. I'd go back to days like that in a heartbeat!

Minnie said...

Your hippie friend's bus-bus makes me cry. Real tears. Of mourning for that 15 window. I mean, come on people, a 15 window?! :-)

Enjoyed your post.

Anonymous said...

uh... really? you can't imagine any reason to do this? it's great you're into weekend vanagoning, but listen son, move into a school bus and your imagination might broaden. Second level bedroom, no need for curtains that high off the street,maybe a livingroom downstairs.
Anyhow, thanks for the pictures.
-Mary

whc03grady said...

Uh... Mary?

A few questions.

You need a second level without those pesky curtains, why wreck a classic like a VW bus to get it? Why not a hack part of a motorhome or a sleeping trailer or something on top of the school bus instead?

Or do you think that maybe, just maybe, you need that VW "hippie" bus up there to maintain to your stinkfoot cred?

Because it really isn't just about a second, curtainless sleeping level, is it now Mary? It's about image, plain and simple, and we both know it.

So listen honey, show me some pictures--let's say, five?--of this kind of hack where the school-bus-livin'-non-conformist (yourself, maybe?) used something other than a VW bus or Vanagon to crown their little DYI project with and then, you and me kiddo, we'll talk about function over fashion, practicality over accessory. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips on how to broaden my imagination.

Alright,
Grady.

Crazy Bear said...

Just FYI: Ken Kesey's son is attempting to restore "Furthur", the original hippy bus, to its original glory - but as a museum piece, not to take an actual road trip in - talk about form over function.
Now, let me explain something. There are plenty of people who prefer to live off the grid, away from society and its silly rules & prudish decorum. Folks choose this life for a variety of reasons. It is anything but easy, considering the fact that you have to struggle to survive, but it is free from the restrictions unfairly imposed by the elitists upon the sheeple. Use the word Hippy, or Outsider, or Rugged Individualist, it doesn't matter. Labels are just labels. Personally, I would love to take a cupola caboose and convert it into a bus. The cupola serves a purpose, you see. You can sit up there and quietly observe all the silly plastic yuppies going about their daily rat-race, running around spending their worthless fiat currency on cheaply made junk they have no actual need of nor use for, etc. from the relative comfort of your own space. (And they can't see you very well, just in case you should happen to want to be naked, or smoking a joint, or whatever other private activity you should happen to choose.)

whc03grady said...

It's amazing (well, maybe not so much amazing as surprising) the legs this post has had over its three years of existence. Too bad its critics seem to fail to read it.

What makes you think I'm criticizing anyone for choosing to live off the grid? My criticism, in case you missed it (you did), can be put in the form of a question: Why wreck a VW bus specifically to make a bus-bus? For one thing, VW buses are worth something all on their own, i.e., not cut up. Wastefulness is wastefulness, whether it's forest reserves, gas, money, or old cars. For another, much more important thing, there's plenty of other stuff--like cabooses with cupolas, perhaps--that would fit the purposes you state much better than does any VW bus.

My suspicion, in case you missed it (you did), is that the VW bus isn't up there because of its unparalleled ability to provide livable space and shelter and privacy when so situated, no no no no no. It's an i.d. badge, a symbol of one's conforming to a specific type of non-conformity. Nothing more, nothing less. That is, it's a perfect example of something you yourself are criticizing: it's a fucking label. Just as much as a can at the supermarket says "Chicken Noodle" to differentiate it from the cans that say "Beef Stew", that poor amputated VW bus up there tells others that you're on board with the scene (if they're of your peer group), or that you're rejecting their scene (if they're a bunch of silly plastic yuppies) in a tired, wasteful, and sadly ironic way.

Of course, evidence refuting my position would be photos of bus-buses not using a VW bus as their second story. Such evidence has so far been not at all forthcoming, but I'd welcome it if you could direct me to some. Maybe show me that more bus-buses than not are configured like that. Good luck.

Alright,
whc03grady.

Post a Comment