July 23, 2008

Poptop Hinge Replacement--with Video!

Ludwig's poptop scissor hinges have been bent--way bent--for as long as we've had him. We got newer ones off of a 1976 Westy and have been waiting for a good time to install them. Today was as good a day as any.

Bent.


Bent.
Note the patch Melissa had to put on as the canvas got caught up once and the scissor hinge acted more like a scissors and less like a hinge.
How did they get so bent? In cases where a vehicle is known to have been attended to by 02McDonald at some point in its life, any evidence of over-exertion of parts can normally be attributed to him. I don't think he is to blame here, however. I can't say as I ever examined the hinges during McDonald's tenure as owner/operator, but I do know that the funny bow in the fiberglass top predates his ownership of the bus. When we were camping with Gypsie a couple weeks back, he reported that the bow flexed in and out as Melissa and I raised or lowered the top. We would've never noticed something like that, as it took both of us inside Ludwig to get the top clamped down. It stands to reason then that the bow in the top was caused by the bent hinges, and therefore McDonald is off the hook.The base of this hinge is all corroded because of the mice that homesteaded in Ludwig sometime during his comatose years. The bolt I'm abusing here had also seen its share of mouse urine, and had turned all soft-like because of it. Gross.
Please allow me to assure you that any sexism seemingly apparent in the execution of this project is purely coincidental.

More mouse crap. Gross, gross. Will Ludwig ever be free of mouse excreta?
We'd always noticed that other Westies' tops sat up differently than ours, but it still took us by surprise just how bad Ludwig's was. Above, only the passenger side hinge has been replaced.
Let's test the new vs. the old, shall we?

It's not just that the old ones were bent; it's not readily apparent in the video, but the newer ones are designed differently and are clearly altogether much stouter.

Look at all that space between the rear of the top and the roof. It used to just rest on the roof. The canvas is much more taut now also.

And look at how much more room there is inside. It used to be that you couldn't sleep with your head(s) at that end unless you liked the taste of fiberglass. Now we can sleep either way, which means we have to worry less about getting Ludwig all level at campsites--we can just sleep with our feet pointed to the low end, whichever end that may be. The funny material on the mattress back there is where Melissa and her Mom replaced the original plaid that had been dissolved away by mouse pee. Gross, gross, gross. As I've seen original Westy upper-bunk mattresses dressed in this plaid (allegedly the third rarest of the plaids) go for up to $125 each, I think this repair is juuuust fine.

Well? How well does it work?
(In case you couldn't hear her, Melissa conservatively estimated the top to run "100% better". I would say it's more like somewhere between a bazillion and a kajillion percent better.)

While it may violate the principles of those who absolutely demand correct-year parts in their bus across the board, I wholeheartedly recommend this upgrade to anyone with the early style hinges. Us, we couldn't care less if Ludwig is spot-on stock
(he does have a window crank salvaged from a 1980 Vanagon, after all), we just want him to work right. What's best is that we recycled good OEM parts and didn't have to resort to buying aftermarket garbage.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Niiiiiice! I am glad to have been part of this fix, even if it was only the 'wow would you look at how much that warps out when you pull it down' part.

Looks great.

Y'all have it goin on!

Big Blue's Driver said...

Digging the video addition! I never really noticed something odd about the top before, but you're right, when it lifts off the back, it looks much better than when it was resting on it. Well done!

marcandeliana said...

LMAO! The first video was hilarious, thanks for a good morning chuckle. The new hinges are sweet! So, do you know anything about "waxing" hinges or getting them to operate more smoothly? Our pop-top has been increasingly difficult to raise. I especially notice a stiffness when it gets really cold outside. We tried some white lithium grease on the hinges but it didn't do squat. The manual talks about waxing the hinges/struts from time to time? I tried rubbing a hard votive candle on the roller track, but that didn't help either! Hmmm..... -Marc

Bill said...

The videos were very funny ... love it. I see you don't this yesterday as the rain drizzled. I'll bet ol Ludwig got a good cleaning with that big storm in the evening, maybe all the mice ran away!

Ludwig's Drivers said...

gypsie,
We're glad you noticed, because it motivated us to move "replace hinges" to the top of the Ludwig list.

BBD,
Thanks. It did look pretty odd, especially in comparison to how it looks now.

exoticdmv,
We're glad the video gave you a laugh. We never tried greasing our previous hinges, but then, we knew they were junk. Don't know why yours are giving you trouble. By the way, how would you rank Banff and Japser in relation to Glacier?

bill,
Thanks for visiting. Do you live in our building? Oh, and for the record, there are currently no mice in Ludwig (thank gawd), just seemingly endless reminders that there once were.

-M&M

Bill said...

"Do you live in our building? " ... No just a fellow Missoulite. I'm over on West Central. It is good to hear that the mice have been evicted. Before the mice left (either under their own power or by brute force) I wonder what kind of travels and adventures they were involved in. Also, I wonder where they hitched a ride. LOL!

Lisa said...

Ok, the videos were VERY funny. I watched it going up & down about 4 times. I remember when you put the canvas on. I would have said many foul words & would have hated camping and licking fiberglass lollipops every time I went to bed (I had a typo in which I spelled lollipoops...quite funny considering the mouse/mice story).

Does this make you want to camp immediately if not sooner?

whc03grady said...

Bill,
The story of the mice isn't really as Baroque as all that. They only lived in him sometime during the eleven years he sat in an equipment shed in Nebraska. When I drug him out in early 2004, there were no living mice in him, but there were several dead ones (and a lot of mouse crap).
Alright,
whc03grady.

Melissa said...

nutty knitter,
We do want to go camping, almost always, but not just because of the roof fix. However, now we might be more interested in sleeping on the top bunk during the summer.
-Melissa

Anonymous said...

You may not know, but I am quite a student of your blogs. Well, as much as I can be without truly understanding all the estoteric ACVW/mechanical discussions. The point is, I've read them all, many times. I like to go back and read the comments as well. I usually visit late at night, suffering from the periodic bouts of insominia which have plagued me all my life, but about which I have rarely discussed even with my closest of friends. My nocturnal readings inevitably lead to the problem of missing you both immensly and fearing that it is too late to call, even adjusted for MTZ. Especially with E (hopefully) sleeping.
However I finally reconciled to the idea of reaching out and posting a comment, and this is actually the second of the night for me. I am of very mixed emotions about commenting, about the act of participating in this blogging arena. For one thing, I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to communication, and feel strongly that there is just no substitute for direct oral discourse. Secondly, I fear the permanency of the electronic archive. You can crumple up a letter you wrote, or paint over a canvas of your work you hate from years ago, but once it's out there, you can never take back the ones and the zeros. Furthermore, there is a both a somewhat self-absorbed as well as brave aspect to the act of blogging. I could never do it. I've never been able to wrap my head around the act of routinely share my thoughts and life with the public indescriminately nor expect them to care or respond to it. Quite frankly, I find it justly-deserved and hilarious when people that get thelmselves into trouble for interntet postings. (Yes, I am aware that my participation here is by an extension an act very similar to that I am describing above. However, as I mentioned, tonight is a bit of a breakthrough. Besides my comments are directly to you two, the public be damned.)

In any case, I wanted to finally let you know that your blog has been a frequent nocturnal haven for my restlessness, and I venture to say that I have been, at least in small part, some of those "unique visitors" that you have wondered about (07 Oct). Whatever my reservations and inabilities to deal with the Digital Era, I wanted to tell you tonight how much I have enjoyed the blog and how it has at least kept me feeling close to you guys and abreast with your lives. It's nice, and yes,the videos are a nice addition (although in keeping with my prejudices I actually refused to watch them until I read Nutty Knitters comments.) I have to admit that it was nice to hear your voices. And was that your little monkey making a bit of cooing and noise in the background?

Grady, what are your days off/good times to call? email that info to my UNL account if you do not mind.

Good night

Mrs. Zanetti said...

So... How did you replace your hinges? I too have a '74 and just received hinges from a '75... and they are nicer. Do you have pointers on what you did? I'm a one woman show here and it would be great not to take it to a shop.
Thanks,Carroe

Ludwig's Drivers said...

One pointer is that you'll probably need another person; not necessarily a mechanic, but just someone else.

It's been a long time since we did this but lemme retrace it in my mind:
1. Pop the top all the way up.
2. Unbolt one hinge (pick a side) from the top...
3. ...then from the bottom.
4. While the friend holds the top in place, mostly making sure it doesn't twist around too much, install the new hinge, body side first. It would probably be a good idea to 4a. clean up the body where the hinge mounts to it if you have time and the friend can hold out (although it's really not that tough).
5. Repeat 2.-4a. for the other side.
6. Have a beer.
C'est ça!

Let me know how it goes, seriously. And enjoy those new hinges; they're billions of times better than the old design.

Alright,
whc03grady.

Post a Comment