October 16, 2008

Type III x 3

In conversation (e-conversation anyway) with a fellow ACVWer recently, I soon found myself wandering in nostalgia for the first VWs I ever owned, this trio of Type IIIs.Not to toot my own horn, but in retrospect I think it took some guts for a small-town (Stanton Nebraska, pop. ~1600) high school guy to drive a partly pink car. Such was Gretchen, a 1973 Type III Fastback whom I purchased sometime in the Spring of 1991. I spotted her at a dealership in Valley, on the way to a Screaming Trees show in Omaha with my younger brother Bill and our friend Donny. The show didn't happen--tour bus wreck--but the car did and I've never really looked back, Rabbit and Subaru notwithstanding. I blew up the engine (sent a rod right through the case) in the Summer of 1991, got a rebuilt one that Summer, and fatally crashed her into a 1990 LeBaron that Winter. The white car in the background, at right, was my first car, "Yvette", a 1977 Ford Mustang II.I was shopping around for a Squareback to put the freshish engine into and stumbled across Anne in Council Bluffs very late in 1991 (it was the week after Christmas). What a wonderful car. She holds two distinctions for me: the fastest I've ever driven an ACVW (100mph), and the best mileage I've ever gotten in any car (38mpg). If you've ever wondered how many bottles of Schmidt big mouths you can safely fit in the trunk of a 1970 Type III, I can tell you: 96. She could give Ludwig a run for his money as far as adventures go (the two were acquainted, actually). Anne was mortally rusty in all the typical Type III places though, and sacrificed much of herself for the next car.Freida was put together with much love in the Spring of 1996 by myself and 01Melcher. She was red when I got her and that paint job was my choice, applied by 01Melcher. It was pointed out to us later that the stripe is on the wrong side, as racing stripes serve the practical function for the driver of reducing glare off the hood. Who knew? Appearances aside, Freida was something of a delicate creature and I never had her really dialed in and running properly. Plus I didn't entirely know what I was doing (still don't, but I'm a little better). But when she was running well, she was as fine a car as one could hope to drive. If you've ever wondered how many 10-lb. cases of hamburgers you can safely fit into the back of a 1967 Type III Squareback, I can tell you: 35. Freida met a deer in the Spring of 1998, which was pretty much the end of her, decent Type III replacement body panels in Nebraska being non-existent. I drove her for a while afterwards with a severely bent passenger-side door and a blue front fender from a '68, but the engine gave up a few months later and so did I.

R.I.P., ladies.

5 comments:

Big Blue's Driver said...

Prices on these seem to still be reasonable in California, and the ones we see here are usually clean and original (not too many cal-look Type IIIs). Cheap, rust-free and original is a hard combination to pass up.

I have come to realize that it's a good thing we don't own land as I seem to have a "buy it and fix it later" gene. I think it's the VW body style that appeals to EP the most...

Ludwig's Drivers said...

We might be distant cousins because I think I have the same gene. No money or space keeps it suppressed, but every time I see a "For Sale" sign in something I like I get all weird inside.
Alright,
Mitch.

PaddyH said...

hi there,

just wondering what kind of mileage/range you guys are getting with Ludwig? thanks.

Ludwig's Drivers said...

Mechanically, Ludwig is critically flawed in two respects: he has a 009 distributor, and he has a Weber progressive carburetor. Add to this terribly unfortunate pairing the fact that we usually waaaaay overpack when we go camping, and he is doomed to mileage in the low teens, with 15mpg being exceptional for him.
Soon we hope to restore his proper distributor and carbs, at which time we can expect mileage in the upper teens!
Alright,
whc03grady.

Andy McDonald said...

oh man i thought i was the person to drive a pink car in high school a bright hot pink 72 super beetle that i bought off my neighbor, it had been his daughters and she liked pink apperently. i used all the cash i had to buy it so had to drive it two weeks pink till i could shoot primer on it andy

Post a Comment