January 24, 2010

Old Soul

Antiques that get driven (the first and fifth vehicles here, for example) are much more impressive to me than antiques that sit in climate-controlled garages, get lugged around on trailers, and add only thirty or so miles to their odometers each year. A trip to the VW AutoMuseum in Wolfsburg would blow my mind, don't get me wrong. But sustaining an unbroken record of service for years and decades is better, I think, for the car's spirit (such that it is).

We spotted this Beetle by the Hip Strip the other day. This little car has clearly lived a Life; I sense a lot of pride here. How old is it?

Someone better steeped in such minutiae could offer a more exact answer, but that little oval rear window tells us that this Beetle is between 53 and 57 years old.

2 comments:

Big Blue's Driver said...

I love that there has been no attempt to put it back together - the missing front bumper, side mirror, hub caps... It's a road warrior for sure. Good to see.

whc03grady said...

And it's being driven in the snow! Somewhere in SoCal, thousands of oval-window owners are experiencing a dull buzzing in their heads.

Alright,
whc03grady.

Post a Comment