February 25, 2010

165/80 R15

Parenthood brings about many changes in one's personal "philosophies". For instance, Melissa doesn't stay out all night dancing like she used to. One thing that's different for me is my thinking about tires.

In the olden days, to me a good tire was one that fulfilled two conditions: (1) it was cheap (preferable free); (2) it held air. My thinking was somewhat shaken one day around milemarker 112 on I-15 in Nevada, when the tire on Ludwig under my seat gave up the ghost, having previously sat flat for over ten years. (As if to drive the point home, the next day the tire under my younger brother's seat departed this mortal coil while driving over Cajon Pass.) Even though we put all new tires on Ludwig, I'm not sure my old ideas were entirely dislodged until E came around. Now, the tires Gertrude had on her at purchase fulfilled (1) and (2) above, though the passenger's front was shaky on (2). But with a little kid in the car, it seemed time to do the grown up thing and get new tires.

And when was the last time these wheels were off anyway? This is the result of one lug bolt's obstinance...

...and this is another. After I ran out of 19mm (3/4") sockets, I took it to a tire place where they proceeded to break two of their sockets--Snap-On, no less--getting the bolts loose.

While I was waiting, a guy who seemed like a customer but who was behind the desk told me his great ACVW story (everyone who's owned an ACVW has had encounters like this): "Yeah, I used to have one of those. I had a '60 Beetle, too. I got it in '63. I took it up Trail Ridge Road [the road over the summit of Rocky Mountain National Park, in Colorado] and couldn't get over the top. So I made a u-turn and grabbed a rock from beside the road. I pointed the car back uphill, put the rock on the gas pedal, put it first gear, got out, and pushed it with one hand on the steering wheel until the road flattened out. Then I hopped back in, tossed out the rock, and went down the mountain." Awesome.

So there Gertie sits on stands, in the now off-limits-to-Tater-Tot garage, while her wheels are blasted and powder coated, and then fitted with some new tires.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

She awaits her new shoes, giddy with anticipation.

Anonymous said...

Pirellis, I'd assume...

PJ Alau said...

The trick I've used for frozen bolt has been to heat them with a small torch, hit them on all sides with a metal hammer, then wrench. Seems to work every time. Your mileage may vary.

-P

Terry said...

Every fine lady deserved a pair of new shoes!

Big Blue's Driver said...

I don't know what it is about tires and wheels - but after I get a new (old) car, it's usually the first thing I do. It's like eliminating a easy "I don't know how old these are"-type of thing. I waited a while on the '63 bug, but all old cars that come to me, leave me with a relatively new set of wheels. Good piece of mind...

Can't wait to see them on. Seems like all cars look better with new tires and freshly powder coated wheels...

Ludwig's Drivers said...

@PJA--I probably should buy a small torch, given that most of my garage work entails luring stubborn >35 year-old bolts and nuts from their homes. The guys at the tire shop used about a quart of PB Blaster, FWIW.

Alright,
whc03grady.

Post a Comment