February 21, 2010

311 906 051E

This afternoon I was able to overcome my entirely unfounded terror and replace Gertie's manifold pressure sensor. It's a thingie that tells her brain how much vacuum the engine is developing (viz., how hard it's working) so the brain can then tell the injectors how much gas to spray. Bosch changed them almost every year of f.i. Type III production (1968-1973), so it was hard to track down the right one. 

This one is bad--see the "X"? I did that. I get confused sometimes.


There's the "new" one installed, that grayish thing with the black hose (Fuel injection! So many hoses!) coming into it from the right. Sorry I don't have a picture of it out but that's the way things go sometimes. Gertrude's stutter/stumbling, formerly pronounced at certain lower- and mid-rpm ranges, has now disappeared altogether. I had Melissa drive her to make sure I wasn't dreaming and she declared that Gertie now ac/decelerates as smooth as buttah. Hopefully this cures her terrible city mileage as well.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yeah. She's finally cured her speech issues. She has been dismissed from the program. Party for Gertie!.

Post a Comment