August 7, 2012

Space (I Believe In)

One of Big Blue's Drivers was promised an overview of how I organize my tools (such that I do) long ago. In preparation of Colin's stop this Friday, I've been straightening out my work space and as a consequence can now address BB's D's request.
On the top shelf are various lubricants, sealers, adhesives, and such, excluding engine oil. Next down are some basic tune-up parts like oil strainers and filters, valve cover gaskets, points, and condensers. On the left are some parts that are either waiting to be installed (e.g. fuel vapor recovery lines for Gertie, heater cables for Ludwig) or might come in handy during a tune-up (like ignition coils and manifold pressure sensors). Down another shelf is some stuff like speedometers that I don't want to get beat up by bigger, heavier parts, and some stuff that's awaiting repair and installation like Ludwig's fluorescent light and Gertie's clock. The bottom shelf has things that I'd like to use sooner or later like new headlights for Gertie, and maintenance parts too heavy for a higher shelf, like brake pads and shoes. In the bottom left corner of the picture is a crate of stuff I'm actively trying to sell.

I pulled this stack of drawers out of the basement and split up a bunch of various bits of hardware like nuts and bolts and washers which were previously stored in coffee cans into it. It's mostly non-VW specific except for one drawer with little easy-to-lose, hard-to-find bits.

The trusty ol' toolbox has been featured in the past; wrenches and sockets are on top, the top drawer is full of screwdrivers, and the bottom drawer things that you squeeze and/or that fit different sized hardware, like pliers and crescent wrenches.


Big things like prybars go in the olive oil can, cleaning stuff goes in the coffee can, the red thing puts out fires, blah blah blah.

Melcher leaves his shop stereo on all the time and I'd gotten quite used to it but Melissa doesn't like it when I leave ours on. But I'm happy to have a stereo in the garage now at all so I can listen to my prized, neglected collection of cassettes. Close examination of that 1951 Montana license plate shows it has "Prison Made" stamped on it. A prize to whoever can tell me what that silver thing resting above and to the right of the cassettes is.


"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God", sayeth the Reverend Horton Heat. I hope those shop rags/prayer cloths aren't rare or anything because I use mine. In the compartments below the workbench are diagnostic tools like my timing light, dwell meter, compression tester. Also some bigger things like torque wrenches and my grease gun live down there. On the left are a few other awkwardly shaped items. On the right are our tire chains.


Two other big compartments are filled with Volkswagen parts of varying utility. Some of this stuff is undoubtedly junk--seven extra hubcaps, anyone?--but some is good stuff if not downright valuable, like the OG Type 3 intake air bellows in perfect condition and several Type 3 oil filler boots.

So there it is. I didn't even mention the stuff I couldn't take pictures of because Ludwig's in the way, or the junk I've stowed in the basement because it's just too much to think about really. If anyone has any tips on how I can best heat a garage while taking up next to no space, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Subaru spelled backwards! HA HA! I never realized.

Post a Comment