April 25, 2009

Getting to Know You

Gertrude got a full tune-up awhile back. This encompasses (among other things) adjusting the valves, timing the engine, changing the spark plugs, and changing the oil. It went not so great, because I found out things about Gertie I'd rather not've come across.

Tater Tot was banned from the workplace (too many cars speeding by), but supervised from the other side of the door.

The badness I found right away. I popped off the passenger side valve cover (cylinders 1 & 2) and at least a quart of gas/oil ran out and onto the just-cleaned street. Gas in the crankcase! Gertie has a bad injector. Exhaust #1 was also pret-ty, pret-ty, pret-ty tight. Another 200 miles and I'll get in there again to see if it tightened up again. If so, it'll be sooner rather than later that she needs her heads rebuilt.

Also bad was that I couldn't do the dwell or idle with my dwell/tach meter, as those functions have apparently died. 
I did manage to put all new spark plugs and spark plug wires on her. Melissa says she runs better now but I think she runs about the same to slightly worse. I'll have to check the timing and dwell again after I get a new meter.

Later I replaced the hinge that allows the middle windows to pop open; the old one was loose and wired shut. Unfortunately I busted off a little circlip that holds the hinge to the window. The window went back in with some wire, but it's a little rattly. 

I'm confident that I can get this stuff fixed, though the tight valve does worry me a bit. Sometimes I forget that these cars aren't really supposed to be around anymore.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Still, with all of her problems, I'll bet you're having fun. Exciting that she's still around for you to fix! Lucky car...

marcandeliana said...

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you with Gertie. I can only imagine that it will raise your experience level and make you wiser. Valentina needs some attention now that we're back from Grenada. I'd better start earning some bucks so I can deal with the never-ending repairs. I agree with you that these cars weren't meant to be around by now ... it's a challenge and an experience to defy their intended lifespan.

Do you guys watch LOST? We've been enjoying all those blue Dharma Initiative buses.

Alright,
Marc

Big Blue said...

This is where the fun part of reading the story begins. Can't wait to see as she come alive again.

whc03grady said...

NK-Lucky car indeed.
exotic-I watch LOST when I can and am horribly not-caught-up with the story. I've seen those DI bays and wonder how Hurley got that one to run so easily after it sat in the jungle for nearly 30 years.
b-Thanks for your enthusiasm. We hope we can do Gertie a solid and keep her around at least long enough for Tater Tot to drive her.
Alright,
whc03grady.

Post a Comment