August 30, 2010

Google Bomb

Cold weather coupled with precipitation left a decent dusting of snow on the higher and not-so-higher peaks around us this morning, reminding us that Winter isn't far away. We've experienced snow before, in spades of course, the both of us having grown up on the Great Plains. But for me anyway it's taken on a new kind of wonder ever since the lull in snow--the lull in actual weather, for that matter--we experienced from late Summer 2004 until late Summer 2006 (we call it, "when we lived in Southern California"). Like an adopted alley cat who gorges himself daily because he's never forgotten what it was like to go hungry, I think I appreciate snow and Winter all the more now that it's back (or rather, now that we're back to it).
As I contemplated the not-distant white stuff on my walk to work this morning, I remembered how up in the Bitterroots one weekend nearly four years ago, Melissa and I (and Ludwig) were reintroduced to the phenomenon of frozen water falling from the sky, and how we instantly realized how much we'd missed it.
Our original post on the subject is here.
We have the ability to track various types of data about this blog, including which posts get the most traffic. And by whatever vagaries of fate govern such things, the post linked above is our most popular, ever. Well, maybe not the most popular in the sense that it's the most beloved, but most popular in that it's the most visited. So much so in fact that as of this writing if one googles "West Fork Butte Lookout", our blog entry is the very first return, before the National Forest Service pages about it. And despite its age, that post gets a dozen or so visits a week, every week. 
I just thought that was kind of interesting.
Bye-bye, August! And take Summer with you!

2 comments:

Laura Anne said...

WOW!!! SNOW ALREADY?? it is finally getting cool enough (up here in the Appalachians at about 2500 feet) for me to see my breath while I am driving Lenny around, but DANG! I didn't realize it was that close, bring it on! is all I'm saying! :P

Ludwig's Drivers said...

We're at 5,400 ft and the highest peak visible from town is over 10,500 ft., so we see snow pretty early (and pretty late). Late August snow isn't unheard of in town, so with September nearly over and no snow yet, we're actually behind schedule.

Alright,
whc03grady.

Post a Comment